Who’d have thought it, but almost unbelievably spring cleaning could help us to lose weight and tone up according to fitness experts. In fact, recent research by Vivotion.com has shown just how much fitness can be helped by doing regular household chores.
So which ones are the best for working out certain areas of our bodies?
- Scrubbing the bath for 15 minutes can burn up to 50 calories – the same as 250 jumping jacks. It’s also great for toning arms and shoulder muscles.
- Loading and unloading the washing machine when doing the laundry then hanging and putting away clothes can burn around 70 calories in an hour – the same as doing 70 sit ups.
- Cleaning windows for an hour burns 136 calories – the same as jogging for 15 minutes.
- Washing up can burn an impressive 180 calories over the course of a week if you do it for 15 minutes every day – the same as a 30-minute swim.
- Vacuuming the carpets can burn 90 calories in half an hour – the same as 15 minutes of kickboxing (and it can also get you nearer to your 10,000 daily steps).
- Dusting can burn 25 calories in 15 minutes – the same as doing a plank for two minutes.
- Ironing for three hours throughout a week can burn 264 calories – the same as one Zumba class. Standing still at the ironing board works the core muscles as it burns calories. And, if you swap hands and press evenly, you’ll get an even work out.
- Changing 4 beds can burn 52 calories in 30 minutes – the same as walking for a mile.
- Sweeping, mopping and cleaning the floors for 30 minutes can burn 96 calories – the same as 15 minutes on the treadmill.
And after all that, if you fancy a bit of fresh air:
- Mowing the lawn (with a push mower) can burn 150 calories per hour – the same as 10 minutes of HIIT.
- Gardening for 30 minutes can burn around 200 calories – the same as cycling steadily for 4 miles – and as digging targets abdominals and shoulders it’s great for an all- round work out.
So, now we know – and we’ve got even more reason to crack on with the cleaning!
ServiceMaster Clean provides exceptional commercial office cleaning in the North West.
To discuss your cleaning requirements with our experts, please get in touch.
Recent Blog Posts
Similar to the way solar panels generate electricity, scientists are cultivating the bio-organisms on a panelling system that can be installed on buildings or land, but instead of electricity, these panels produce microscopic plant life that can produce nutritious...read more
A few years ago fish pedicure treatments were all the rage and tiny, toothless fish nibbled away the dead skin on a person’s feet. Fast forward to today, and researchers from the University of Pennsylvania are developing a similar treatment for your teeth – no, not...read more
According to the journal of Energy & Environmental Science, researchers at Princeton University have developed a technique that doubles the currently accepted rate for scalable technologies that produce hydrogen by splitting water. Basically, they have harnessed...read more